Thursday, October 29, 2009

Life is tough

Vern had a bad day today.  When John called to say they were home from school. Vern was having a complete meltdown. No one knew what was going on.

When I got home he wouldn't talk nor do his jobs. Instead of saying do your jobs 25 times I implemented a new tactic. I said no dinner until 1/2 your jobs are done. OOOOHHHHH WEEEE did THAT hurt. Hit him where it counts - the dinner plate.  He threw a minor fit but it worked and he ended up doing his jobs.  When I decided he had done enough jobs to have dinner the other kids had all ready eaten. Vern started to throw another fit that the spaghetti noodles were gone. I just told him if his jobs had been done he would have been first for dinner and had noodles.  More tears...

Finally as he was sitting at the table looking at his food and pouting I got out of him what was REALLY going on. Seems that a substitute teacher at school told him he couldn't go to the reading party tomorrow as he hadn't read enough.  It devistated him. I mean Vern had taken initiative to read this week just because of that party and to be told he couldn't go really hurt him.  I got him calmed down and told him I would write an email and see what the problem was with him attending the reading party. I'll let you know the results when I find out how it went.

That seemed to calm him down after I told him I would write the email. I stressed that he had to tell me when something like this is bothering him so he doesn't get in trouble for acting out. Even though its hard to talk about things it is better than getting punishments for being naughty.  I hope he learned somewhat of a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment