Friday, October 23, 2009

It's Report Card time.

The big day has arrived - first quarter report cards. I had a brief phone conversation with Vern’s teacher just to see how things were going. Here is what was discussed.


It was probably about what I expected, no big surprises as such. His reading has gone up a couple points from the start of the year so this is good but he needs to continue with decoding words. I told the teacher I strongly agree with this as he gives up if he doesn’t know the word. He makes stuff up instead of even trying to figure out the word. Keep doing what we are doing.

He is very respectful to all the teachers – THANK GOD.

He needs improvement with fellow students. He does not take at all to kids cutting in line in front of him and lets them know in no uncertain terms it will not be tolerated. I understand this but he needs to learn not to hurt kids.

We still struggle with responsibility. The teacher says it happens in class also. She stresses that trait is very much needed for 4th grade and I agree. She is trying a list at school to see if that helps. I think I should expand the list for him to include morning and evening at home.

He excels at Science. He even sometimes sits at the edge of his seat and leans forward on that subject. This gives me hope.

I think Vern will see his 9th birthday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment