Tuesday, September 22, 2009

East 28 West 7

Vern had his first “official” football game Saturday. He could hardly wait. We arrived early and he had a chance to eyeball the other team. As we were going back to the car to get his G2 he leans over and says “Mom, we are going to smoke them. I have been watching the other team and they just don’t look that good.” I smiled and thought ok my little story telling Vern you just keep thinking that. We shall see how your team does. (We had just come from Ann’s volleyball game where her team was smoked 2 games to 1.)



Vern’s team had a 10 yard penalty after the second play! This was not going well. Vern’s team was on defense… They are 8-9 year olds how can you give them 10 yard penalties???? Our team had not been told the rules before the start of the game so they really were at a disadvantage as they had no time to practice the 5 second delay when there is a pass play. Anyway Vern’s team finally gets the ball and on our second play the speed demon on his team runs and scores!!! WOOT WOOT

Near the end Team East had another fabulous run but it was called back for holding?!?!?!?!?! WOW. On the bright side they ran the exact same play as the next play and scored again. :-)


I have to say I was very impressed with how well the kids listened and wanted to do well. There is a girl on Vern’s team who is way taller and older than the rest of the boys but was a great wide receiver. She scored on a reverse play I did NOT think they would pull off but did great. Hats off to coach (Vern’s dad). He did a decent job with the kids. I hope he rotates the kids to different positions during the season and treats them as fairly as he can as I heard one kid say “Yes that is the coach’s son.”
In the end Vern was right – they did smoke ‘em. I’m glad that Vern’s team won as all my other football teams (college/pro) lost this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment