Thursday, November 12, 2009

Deep discussions

So every night as part of Vern and my good night ritual, we say a prayer. We take turns saying the prayer and sometimes we both end up adding to the other person's prayer. It really is very special.

Sometimes Vern leads the prayer: "Dear God, Please forgive all our sins. Please help me to pass 3rd grade. Please help all the sick people in hospitals. In your name we pray. Amen"

Sometimes I lead the prayer: "Dear Lord Jesus, Thank you so much for my wonderful family, food to eat, and a wonderful home to sleep in. Please forgive our sins and help us to do your will. In your name we pray. Amen"

and Sometimes when we are both stuck we just Pray the Lord's Prayer.

Tonight was one of those times. After the prayer I said "Vern, do you know what hallowed be thy name means?"  He thought really hard and said I think it means not to curse, you know like OH MY GOSH only using God instead.  We had a really nice talk about how hallowed is kind of like holy. (Gee these things are hard to explain to a 9 year old)  After a while he said  "Mom I am sad and tears are coming out." I said are you sure you are sad? He said he didn't know. I said not all tears are sad tears and it just might be the Holy Spirit working inside you and showing you what a good person you really are!  Boy that was deep stuff for him. HECK its deep stuff for me what am I talking about!?!?!?!?

He got to thinking so hard and asking very insightful questions that I couldn't answer.  Then he got to really going and started wondering how God could rip himself into 3 pieces and get inside us and how was the soul made. WOW.

Kids are great teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment