Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Parent/teacher conferences

It is that time of year all ready. Time to head to the school and hear how your son/daughter is doing in the classroom.  In middle school our school district does things differently in that the kids have to present their work to the parents.  This involves the entire family participating.  I understand they want the kids to become proficient at speaking and giving presentations but personally I wish they would do that in school and leave the conferences to the adults.

Vern has been struggling with 6th grade this first semester. We have had multiple after schools, phone calls to teachers, undone homework, tears, on and on and on.

So I was unsure what to expect when we arrived at conferences.  The place was packed! The staff unlocked the doors precisely at 5:02 and everyone trampled to their respective areas. Luckily we were able to get a chair but some groups of parents/students did not. Vern gave his presentation of homework to date in each class. Good and bad papers. Then we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Finally one teacher showed up. We were able to ask a couple general questions and they had to move on.

Then it was back to wait.

Wait.

Tapping toes and drumming fingers.

A couple more teachers eventually showed up and then we gave up on the last one.

I hated it. The more I write, the more I believe I am going to contact the school with this issue.

On an ending positive note, Vern had all A's and B's.


***Addendum***
I did contact the school and their response was you are welcome to schedule additional time with the teachers on a different week. We just don't advertise this.

Oh I wonder why???? Because you would have many many parents doing this and conferences would be for nothing?  No good answers but I did try.

No comments:

Post a Comment