Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Weekend read-fest

As I wrote earlier, Vern is down to the wire on getting his reading complete for the quarter. He found a book to read that he needed to get finished over the weekend so he could take the test on Monday.

We talked about this on Friday before school. "Read hard this weekend."
 "I will mom."

So Sunday night I decide to call him and see how the reading is going.

"Hi Honey, what are you doing?"

"Not much mom."

"Get a lot of reading done like we talked about?"

Silence.... followed by "Yes, I guess."

"Well that is good. Get the book finished and take that test tomorrow."

"Ok, bye mom."

Fast forward to Monday after school.  I call home to check on them.

"Hello."

"Hi Vern, how is it going?"

"Good."

"Are you getting your homework all done?"

"Yes."

"That is great."

"Mom" (said in a sad - pathetic - quiet sort of voice)

"Yes honey?"

"I kind of lied to you."

"About what?"
"Reading,  (pause)  I didn't read all weekend at dad's."

"How come???? I mean I called you last night to see how it was going."

"Well there was a movie on - Rudy, and dad said it was good and so I wanted to watch it."

"I'm disappointed at your poor choice."

"I'm really sorry mom, I will read 80 minutes tonight."

"Ok, I will see you soon."

Instead of being discouraged at his lack of reading (that is typical behavior there) I am taking away 2 positives from this:  1. He did fess up to his lie. (which before he never would do even though he would get caught anyway)  2. He apologized and followed through with reading the entire 80 minutes last night.

Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment