Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pond Study

Our school has developed a great relationship with a federal reserve nearby.  The kids get out into the environment to study science and nature. It is great for both the kids and a positive and productive use of the reserve.

Vern got to spend an entire day at this reserve. They got to make breakfast on an open fire. They got to hike, fish, canoe. Do ALOT of things many city kids never get to experience.  I tried to get some info out of him but he was so tired he didn't want to talk much. Vern's face was red from sunburn and you could tell he was exhausted. So the most I could get out of him were grunts and yes/nos.

He did tell me the pond study was boring and he didn't catch any fish!  His dad went and I asked if he had a good time since his dad was there. He said yes.

I believe it was a good experience for Vern. Not in that he got to spend time in nature as he is a boy scout and does that fun stuff all the time. Rather, that he had to learn some organization skills to prepare for this event. (He got his ICMM's taken away if he didn't bring items by a certain time.) He had a list of items to bring and it helped him learn to get things put together without "mom" doing it. He was in a group of all boys so I think that it was helpful for all of them. You should have heard him a couple nights. MOMMMMM they will take away my ICMMS and I will have to stay in from recess if I don't get this done. It made me smile.  :-) ICMM's are play money they earn to spend on various things during the school year. Kids hate to lose them and always want to gather more.

Thanks for the great learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment