Monday, February 17, 2014

It's all up to you...

So it is that time of year again - school conferences.

This time there was a theme to the conferences but I will get to that in a minute. I believe I have talked before about how in middle school the conferences are student led. This means that the kids talk about their grades and papers they have done. The teachers walk around and talk a bit if you have any questions. I understand why they make kids do this but would rather have a more traditional talk with the teachers.

So Vern starts going through his papers. I see many individual grades below par. I ask him what is going on?  I get back "I don't know."  What can you do to improve this paper next time? "I don't know." You get the picture.

Finally a teacher shows up to talk about Vern and his grades. They proceed to say along the lines of the following: Vern is doing well but sometimes does not pay attention in class.  I think Vern could do better.  Next teacher: Vern is not working up to his potential. Vern is choosing to rush through his papers.  Next teacher: It is all up to what Vern chooses to do. Vern grasps the concepts very well but needs to apply himself. Next teacher: (Math) Wow, Vern has really improved his grades and how he acts in class. He is doing much better than first semester.

So the theme really rang true with all the teachers. Vern you are at a juncture in your life where you can choose the outcome. You are an extremely smart kid that grasps ideas at a much higher grade level. What will you choose to do with your gifts Vern?

It is all up to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment