Friday, July 5, 2013

Confirmation Camp!

Another Vern activity for the summer was church camp. This is a required camp when the kids are in confirmation. They spend a week there and are busy sun-up to sun-down.  Some of the things I gleaned from Vern are as follows.

The toilets are disgusting. He was glad he was a boy and didn't have to sit down. Let's just say he was pretty "backed-up" by the time he got home. ZOWIE

The showers were not much better but he did say he took quick showers daily. One day he washed his hair - one day his body. At least he ran some water over himself that week...

One painful event was during horse time. The horses stomp their feet when trying to keep the biting flies off themselves. Well Vern's horse decided to do this maneuver when Vern's foot was under the horse. Yes that hurt he told me. I bet. Luckily didn't break anything.

One thing Vern did enjoy at camp was learning to make "survival" bracelets. Below is a photo of the one he made for me. These are bracelets made out of para cord and the logic is if I get lost in the wilderness, I can use the bracelet to help me survive!  Great idea and Vern did a wonderful job of making this for me. I am going to take this on my vacation to the wilderness just in case.


One thing Vern did not enjoy to much were the high ropes. He said it would have been fine except his legs were to short to reach between the steps on the high ropes and his safety rope kept sticking.  Besides the high ropes they did do a zip-line. Here is a shot of Vern going down the zip-line. He did enjoy this part of the rope activities.




Here is Vern having some Bible study time.


I believe this is opening day and some group activities. His shoes still look clean which makes me believe it is the beginning of the week!
 
Here is Vern in front of his cabin for the week. I guess this is the last year these "cabins" are going to be used. They are building more of a bunk house to replace these as they all have seen much better days. 
 
Vern had a good week and very much enjoyed the soda as we left camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment